If you suffer from an anxiety disorder, then you know just how draining it can be. Anxiety affects every area of your life, including relationships, social interaction, and decision-making. Anxiety can occur with or without any trigger. When you go through an episode, you suffer symptoms that can be mentally and physically painful. What’s worse is that you may not know how to overcome anxiety.
Anxiety also forms a symbiotic relationship with substance abuse. The two either feed off of each other or bring out each other’s symptoms. For instance, when you go through an anxiety episode, you may turn to alcohol or drugs to self-medicate. Likewise, if you consume alcohol, cocaine, opioids, or any other substance, it can make your anxiety even worse. This is why it’s so important to find a mindfulness based cognitive therapy program in Asheville, NC and learn about overcoming anxiety without drugs.
How to Overcome Anxiety
When you are going through an episode of anxiety, it can seem as though it has completely taken over your mind and body. It may difficult for you to calm down and get through it. However, it is possible to manage and reduce your level of anxiety by utilizing a few strategies, such as:
- Have a Support System in Place – One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to get support from family and friends. Find some people that you trust that you can turn to when you feel anxiety coming on. They can provide encouragement and support, as well as help you distinguish between what you are worried about and what is going on in reality
- Seek Help from a Therapist – Anxiety disorder can occur as a result of trauma and addiction, a chemical imbalance, genetics, or your work/home environment. A therapist can help you understand the underlying causes of your anxiety and then work through them using therapeutic techniques
- Mindfulness Meditation – Numerous studies have shown that meditation therapy is highly effective in reducing the effects of anxiety. While meditation is not a cure-all for anxiety, it can help you train your brain and redirect your thoughts. Meditation is also useful in helping you overcome your addiction
- Avoid Caffeine & Nicotine – It is no secret that when you consume caffeine or nicotine, you can get the jitters. However, if you have an anxiety disorder, the stimulant in caffeine and nicotine can send your nerves over the edge. They can trigger feelings of restlessness, nervousness, insomnia, sweating, headaches, and even hearing a ringing in your ears. Therefore, you should stay away from caffeine and nicotine
- Get Help for Your Addiction – An addiction to alcohol or drugs can provide quick relief for your anxiety. However, it will eventually turn on you and increase your anxiety levels significantly. If you are suffering from substance abuse, then get the help you need for your addiction at a women’s substance abuse treatment center. You will notice a remarkable difference in how well you feel and your anxiety levels
Contact The Willows for Addiction and Anxiety Treatment
At The Willows, we are dedicated to helping you overcome your addiction to drugs or alcohol. We offer mindfulness-based cognitive therapy program in Asheville, NC. If you need help with substance abuse, call us today at 855.773.0614. You can start your road to recovery and learn how to overcome anxiety.