When it comes to controlling a cough, nothing works like prescription cough syrup. However, it also numbs pain thanks to the codeine that the medication contains. Although codeine is effective, it can also lead to addiction. Once addiction sets in, people have little choice but to seek codeine addiction treatment at a center that provides mindfulness-based cognitive behavioral therapy in North Carolina.
What Is Codeine?
How does someone know if they need codeine addiction treatment? Firstly, they have to fully understand what codeine is. In the most general sense, it’s an opiate that doctors prescribe to treat mild to moderate discomfort and pain.
How does codeine work? When people take codeine, the liver breaks down the medication and turns it into morphine. For those who don’t know, morphine is a naturally occurring substance. In fact, it’s one of the most commonly ingested opiates on the market.
However, why do people abuse codeine? Once the body breaks down the substance into morphine, the drug starts to affect the brain. More specifically, it affects the reward center. This makes them feel artificial pleasure, happiness, and general well-being.
Codeine Addiction Treatment
Finding codeine addiction treatment is important. However, people have different needs when it comes to recovery. For that reason, it’s important to look for gender-specific services. Of course, there’s more to consider than just gender-specific programs.
Therapy is a crucial part of drug rehab. It helps people deal with the root cause of addiction. Often times, the underlying cause is another mental disorder. Dual diagnosis programs address not only addiction but also underlying mental disorders.
Most importantly, people should seek residential care when they look for codeine addiction treatment. Only residential care gives them the round-the-clock supervision that they need to overcome codeine addiction.
Why Seek Codeine Addiction Treatment?
Once people develop an addiction to codeine, it’s very difficult to overcome it. To make matters worse, there’s no telling how much codeine that they can take before it develops. As they build a tolerance to this drug, they start taking more and more of it to achieve the desired effects. Eventually, their tolerance gets so high that they overdose on codeine to get high.
Codeine Treatment for Women
Finding a codeine addiction treatment center for women is important. While anyone can develop the disease, studies suggest that women seek help far less often than men. In fact, the National Institute on Drug Abuse shows that roughly 30% of 2014 drug disorder admissions were women. This means that the remaining 70% of admissions were men.
One reason is that men tend to abuse drugs more than women. However, another reason is that women don’t always seek the treatment that they need. Also, they have different needs when it comes to recovery.
Turn to The Willows for Your Female Drug Rehab Needs
Do you need a rehab center that provides mindfulness-based cognitive behavioral therapy in North Carolina? Do you need a rehab center that can aid you in overcoming codeine addiction? If so, consider reaching out to our helpful staff at The Willows.
Our drug rehab center focuses on women’s needs. We’re proud to be a codeine addiction treatment center for women. We can provide custom treatment plans that put your needs first. A few of the programs that we offer include:
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Residential treatment center
- Individual and group therapy
- Trauma-informed care
- Yoga therapy
- Nutritional therapy
Fight back against codeine addiction rather than let it control you. Find codeine addiction treatment that you can count on. Reach out to The Willows today at 855.773.0614 for more information about how we can help you overcome codeine addiction.