Are you a woman struggling with substance or alcohol abuse and looking to enter rehab? The recovery process may seem impossible, and you may be wondering, “what is rehab like for women?” The Willows at Red Oak Recovery offers a women-only rehab program and addiction treatment center in NC. We created our rehab environment and therapy programs with women in mind.
We offer substance abusers new coping mechanisms to overcome addiction, like our recreational therapy program in North Carolina. Read our guide below to learn what rehab is like for women and make an informed decision about your recovery.
Addiction For Women vs. Men
Studies find that men and women experience addiction differently. These variations affect what rehab is like for women. Understanding these differences in what rehab is like is critical for getting the proper care. For example, women who abuse substances often:
- Become addicted more quickly. Smaller doses may addict women faster than men.
- React differently to drugs. Women usually have more intense cravings for specific substances than men.
- Experience hormonal differences. The different chemical makeup of a woman’s body impacts drug recovery.
- Struggle with domestic problems. Domestic abuse and emotional difficulties may make quitting drugs more difficult for women.
- Feel anxiety and fear. Panic attacks, depression, and anxiety are all more common in women who abuse drugs than in men.
- Abuse while pregnant. Substance abuse during pregnancy is dangerous for the woman and her unborn child.
In particular, the last concern impacts what rehab is like for women. Pregnant women who abuse substances pass addictions down to their babies. Abuse of alcohol and tobacco could negatively impact the child’s development. The Willows at Red Oak Recovery centers recovery treatment plans around what women need.
What Is Rehab Like For Women vs. Men?
A quality women’s rehab center must gear treatment toward women’s specific needs and concerns. If you’re asking yourself, “what is rehab like?”, read the list below to understand what rehab is like for women vs. men:
- Role of relationships – Women are more likely to find themselves in a codependent relationship with enablers or fellow substance abusers. Codependency requires specific therapies and treatment programs.
- Role of past traumatic events – Women are more likely to have various traumatic triggers. These triggers lead them to cope with substance abuse. Trauma includes physical, emotional, and sexual abuse. What rehab is like for women depends on the availability of trauma therapy.
- Differences in physical nature – Women differ physically from men and are often smaller. Women, therefore, process addictive substances faster, creating stronger, faster, and more severe reactions. Since the initial response to the substance is higher, withdrawal symptoms also tend to be worse for women. Other differences include the nutritional needs and health concerns women may have when entering rehab.
What Is Rehab Like In Our Substance Abuse Treatment Center
Our substance abuse treatment programs free women from destructive and self-sabotaging behaviors that stem from trauma and addiction. Our women’s only program offers a safe and supportive environment. With security and support, women can enhance the quality of their day-to-day lives.
What is rehab like for women at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery? Our program relies on five primary ideals:
- Safety – Our program provides physical and emotional security for all of our clients.
- Peer support – Our small program provides individualized care. Our program also provides peer support with a group of close-knit women and team members.
- Respect – Our team honors and respects your journey to recovery.
- Collaboration – We encourage your loved ones to be part of the recovery process.
- Reflection – Our expansive, open spaces are perfect for meditation, stillness, and connecting with nature.
What Is Rehab Like For Women In Our Addiction Treatment Center?
Our dually credentialed substance abuse and mental health clinicians treat both mental health and addiction. In the addiction treatment center at The Willows at Red Oak, we use a variety of programs. Our wide variety of treatments helps women embrace change. Learn more about our therapies, including:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Experiential Therapy
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Don’t let substance abuse, trauma, or mental illness keep you from living the life you deserve. What is rehab like for women like you? Come to The Willows at Red Oak and see for yourself. We’re ready to help you today. Contact us online or call us at 855.773.0614 for the women’s rehab program you need.