Women across the United States struggle with mental health and addiction. Social pressure, unprocessed trauma, and life changes can lead many women to turn to substance use. Studies now show that at least half of women living with addiction also have co-occurring mood disorders. This means that addiction does not exist on its own. Instead, undiagnosed, misdiagnosed, or mistreated mental health disorders can lead to addiction. Programs with women’s dual diagnosis treatment are the safest, most effective way to approach the relationship between mental health and addiction.
If you or a young woman you love need dual diagnosis treatment, The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® can help. Call us now at 855.773.0614 to learn more about our holistic, long-term recovery programs for women’s mental health and addiction in beautiful North Carolina.
What Is Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Dual diagnosis treatment is a holistic approach to mental health and addiction. Rather than considering mood disorders and addiction as separate symptoms, dual diagnosis treatment addresses them together. Dual diagnosis treatment, also called co-occurring disorders, can include:
- Bipolar disorder
- Disordered eating
- Process addictions
Often, people have multiple or complex co-occurring disorders. These and other mood disorders can lead to self-medicating with drugs and alcohol. A comprehensive dual diagnosis treatment program can help women understand and manage their mental health to lessen addiction triggers and cravings. For some, dual diagnosis treatment causes addiction symptoms to disappear.
Tips for Coping with a Dual Diagnosis
Dual diagnosis conditions might be overwhelming. However, it can provide information, relief, and tools to help women manage their mental health and thrive. Here are some ways to cope with dual diagnosis:
- Take every day one step at a time as you begin to understand the relationship between mood, addiction, and daily life.
- Join 12-step or other support groups that understand and work with dual diagnosis.
- Stick with cognitive-behavioral and holistic therapies. You may not find your favorite holistic therapy right away, but trying different modalities can be empowering. The more often you go to therapy, the easier managing your dual diagnosis will get.
- Practice mindfulness through breathing, yoga, walking, and meditation.
- Eat well. Talk to a nutritionist and plan meals that benefit your physical and mental health.
- Take time for yourself. It’s important to give yourself the time you need to process a dual diagnosis.
In the long-run, dual diagnosis can be more beneficial than addiction treatment alone. It can help many women understand why they act the way they do. If you or someone you love is struggling with a dual diagnosis, find support now.
Start Women’s Dual Diagnosis Treatment in Asheville, North Carolina
If you or a woman in your life is looking for holistic dual diagnosis treatment and support, The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® is here for you. The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® provides women with the sanctuary and long-term recovery they need to heal from alcohol addiction, unprocessed trauma, and dual diagnosis disorders. Our campus, in scenic Asheville, North Carolina, provides a safe, inclusive continuum of care. Women at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® enjoy individualized, holistic treatment for long-term healing. Our clients enjoy the benefits of:
- Trauma therapy
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) (use full name and then abbreviation after)
- Group therapy program
- Individual therapy program
- Yoga therapy
- Adventure therapy
The team at The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® is dedicated to helping women heal individually and together. By combining alternative therapies, evidence-based therapies, and extended care, the women at The Willow at Red Oak Recovery® receive the support they need to thrive.
Call The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® Now
If you’re ready to get started or have more questions about dual diagnosis, call The Willows at Red Oak Recovery® now at 855.773.0614 for more information.